Friday, June 18, 2010

The Boastful Knight

There once was a knight who lived by the sea,
And boast of his works many times did he.
Attempts to correct him were all in vain,
There was never a warning that he did heed.
Never did he go without mentioning his deed,
How from a evil ogre a princess he freed,
How he slayed a sea serpent rare,
and with only his fist, killed a mighty bear.

And this knight who lived by the sea-
Went by the name of Sir Edgar McGee,
He would brag,
"There is not a man who is better than me,
soon the whole world will know of Sir Edgar McGee!"
Then spoke a wise old man,
"Sir Edgar McGee, over all your deeds,
I value humility."
But he did not listen,
"I am the greatest man there be!"
So said Sir Edgar McGee

One day in that land by the sea,
A boat on the horizon was seen.
As it approached the crowd gave a shout!
The men cried out,
the ladies screamed.
For the boat was torn beam from beam.

Up spoke one of the crew,
"There was a whale largely shaped,
he attacked our boat, we barley escaped!"
Then exclaimed Sir Edgar McGee,
"I will fight this whale,
I will show him there is nothing greater than me!"
So off he sailed to conquer the whale,
But only hours later, from the east, there arose a great gale.

Many years later the story is retold,
How Sir Edgar perished in those days of old.
And how he discovered he was not the greatest.
Learn from this story and from boasting detest.
And from the tragic tale of Sir Edgar McGee,
Learn my friends, humility.

5 cool people have commented on this:

Mary Jo LeBlanc said...

Poor, poor Sir Edgar McGee,
I must say I feel rather sorry.
The noble fellow was lost;
He had nothing to boast,
And never did learn humility.

(Great poem! I may ask to borrow it someday soon...)

Spencer said...

okay feel free (btw I like your add on!)

Unknown said...

Did you write that Spence?

Spencer said...

I did

Unknown said...

Wow that's really good! I love to write poems too...though mine don't usually have a lesson in them. :-D Great job!